Father Eugene O’Callaghan first came to Hubbard to celebrate mass when St. Patrick’s was still a mission parish. In 1867, a small frame Catholic church was built on North Main St. near Park Ave. The first Baptism in the new church was celebrated on March 17, 1869. In 1874, Father Schaffield, the first resident pastor, asked the Holy Humility of Mary Sisters to teach in a two room school house built near the church. Father Schaffield was also instrumental in building an addition to the church, buying land in July, 1872 for a parish cemetery and building a convent in 1875.
Under the leadership of Father Nicholas Drohan who became pastor on July 4, 1889, a Gothic, yellow-brick church was built on the corner of Main and Water Street to provide for the growing congregation, many of whom were of Irish and German descent.
In 1915 a two-story school building was erected east of the church by Father John Maloney.
Because of the “baby boom”, an eight room addition was added to the school in 1953 by Father John Toole. The Humility Sisters served the school until 1987. Because of declining enrollment St. Patrick School closed in June, 2016. The former convent is currently St. Patrick Rectory which also houses the administrative offices and a preschool.
As the parish community continued to increase, our present church was built on the corner of Park and Main with the first mass celebrated on Feb. 25, 1967. Father Francis Hughes, the 16th pastor, built the Parish Center in 1987 to accommodate the many parish activities.
Father Timothy O’Neill, pastor from 1992-2015, was very instrumental in addressing the social needs of both the church and surrounding communities.
St. Patrick Parish is currently under the leadership of Father Michael Swierz who became pastor on Sept. 1, 2015. Three permanent deacons, a competent staff and active parishioners assist Father Mike in making the St. Patrick Mission Statement a growing reality.